*DISCLAIMER: If you are a stalker-type individual, Assclown, Ass-monkey, Dicknozzle or some other variation of a socially dysfunctional Ass-hat, reading this blog will cause your retinas to burn straight through the back of your head. Consider yourself warned.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How To Know If Group Rides Are Not For You (...or the Innocent People You Will Likely Harm/Kill/Piss Off)

I usually like to write a sugary sweet and funny blog between rant blogs, but I promised that I would write this one...with good reason.

A friend (a seasoned cyclist and badass racer, whom we will call "Zooey" because she is super fantastic like Zooey Deschanel) and I went on what used to be a standard group ride last Tuesday night.

We used to love this ride.

A pretty fantastic group of people also used to frequent this ride.

I'm not sure if those people stopped riding the ride because they too got pissed off by what Zooey and I found when we decided to ride the ride or if the new group simply ate or got the old group killed in traffic... Either way, this new group should:
  • Never ride in a group...
  • Never ride in traffic...
  • Never ride a ride attached to a bike shop...
  • Never wear gear associated with said bike shop because that will certainly piss off the bike shop when these jackasses get people killed and the shop name is associated... (Getting people killed or injured is generally considered negative marketing. OOOPS!)
OK, now the fact is that everyone thinks they are ready for a group ride, when the fact is that some people miss the chip that makes them group ride people.

I for one am shorthanded on patience, so I know that I must limit the group rides I attend to riding with a certain likelihood of rider which is best for me. I know to stay clear of certain rides because they are super fast and/or mini-races and others which are slow enough for a bike with a basket and puppy combo on the front. That's why this ride was a safety. A sure thing.

Familiar. Challenging. Always a fast and steady pace. People who know that those pretty little lines on the road are there for a reason.

That was not the case last Tuesday.

Here are a few tips:

1. If you are unfamiliar with what this...


...or this are...

...You are not ready for a group ride.

*Note: If you answered, "OOOOOH! Pretty Chritsmas lights!" I hope someone shoves a jolly old elf up your arse.

Additionally, if you choose to run the latter, you should not yell, "CLEAR!" and encourage other people to run the light. If people on the GROUP ride get stuck at the light which you ran, it's sort of proper etiquette to wait for them. Derrrr.

2. If you think that you will win a battle against one of these when you run the above...


...then you are not ready for a group ride.

3. If you think that the cyclist in this photo is on a group ride...

...then you are not ready for a group ride.

Additionally, you probably aren't as badass as this guy, so leave your mad TT'ng skills at home. No one is impressed. We all have a super cool Italian helmet too. No one is chasing you because you look stupid...and you have a "Cat 5 tat" on your calf. *yawn*

4. If you are incapable of being generally personable or mildly courteous to other cyclists on the ride...even when they get a flat...then you are not ready for a group ride.

Simply saying, "Hey, it looks like you have a flat" and riding off is sort of a dickhead move...especially in the dark. (Good thing her husband and 2 friends were there too or that could have sucked considering no one knew she had a husband and 2 friends there because they had been unfriendly to her when she first arrived...as a newcomer.)

Don't get me wrong, no one should need babysitting when they go on a group ride, but early on we found ourselves hanging back from the ride as we were wearing our team kits and did not want to be associated with the rolling liabilities.

The final straw was when the group ran a stop sign on Russell and nearly got hammered by a pickup truck. That poor man nearly had a heart attack and kept apologizing.

It wasn't his fault. He had been stopped. The group of asses didn't even slow down. Not even a rolling stop. Nothing. Then they took off up Broadway without a care of the other cyclists at the stop.

Guess what, assholes? We've been riding that ride a lot longer than you have. Do us and the bike shop a favor...leave from Steak and Shake...or leave from the corner of Big Bend at 6:55pm.

You can call it the Big Bend Big Loser Non-Group, Ticket-Drop-and-Die Ride.

PS: Time Trial girl, you can't just ride in the left lane because you want to or because you are not yet comfortable being that close to another bike. Cars have rights to the road too.

11 comments:

  1. You are right on, yet again! I haven't been riding on group rides because of the hammer fest and the lack of concern for traffic violations. Glad to hear I am not the only one that notices this bullshit excuse for riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was rolling! thanks for the great laugh. glad you got back safe!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sending this to all the assholes i ride with. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the etiquette on bikers riding side by side, sometimes a group of three all right in line with each other? I ask because I don't ride a bike but I see it ALL. THE. TIME. out here and it drives me crazy. Particularly on very narrow, twisting mountain roads that barely accommodate two cars [one in each direction.] When bikes ride side by side like this [and not just to pass, but for long, long stretches of time] it makes it nearly impossible to pass them. And it makes me kinda stabby to be stuck behind bikes going uphill on a mountain pass because I don't want to drive blindly into [possible] traffic on a twisty mountain road. Is it just me or is this ridiculous? What do you suggest a driver do in this situation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for speaking out. I would prefer if you would just toss this out on the STLBiking page though..and maybe hand a copy of it to the grayhaired asswipe that rides in the big shark kit on Bryan road....because soon he will be a hood ornament fucktard! I am pretty sure that I will turn on my wipers just to smack his litte goatee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of all the fucktards, hood ornament fucktards are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God, do you know how many times I have wanted to write this post and didn't because I was afraid of pissing people off?

    THANKS!
    THANKS!
    THANKS!

    Maybe I'll write it anyway...

    p.s. what's a guy gotta do to make your blogroll ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jada: You may want to check on your local bike laws/guidelines , but generally on a one lane road, cyclists should travel single file. If there are two lanes, cyclists are afforded an entire lane in this area, but every place is different. Even then, they should not ride more than two abreast.

    Most cyclists aren't jerks and do not want to get hit or have their bikes even marginally scraped, but there are a few out there that make it tough for all of us. I apologize for them. :-(

    @TTM: I can't post it on the forum, but I get a fair amount of traffic from there, so your boy may see it. lol

    @Beetles: Well now that I know it's you, you're totally on there!

    ...and what's all this nonsense about being afraid to piss people off? hogwash! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang - used my alter ego in the last comment - I couldn't HTML my way out of a paper bag!

    Glossary of Ted's egos:
    BITB - bugs and nature stuff
    BBB - strictly bikes

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought the blog looked different! I'm putting BBB on the roll. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cory can you come out here on my next group ride, and share your observations with some of the pinheads I get thrown in with?

    They don't listen to me...maybe they will heed your warnings.

    Please?

    ReplyDelete